Monday 8 June 2020

Sansai - The Wild Vegetables of Hokkaido

If a catastrophe happens then supermarkets may disappear! Then, ordinary people are going to suffer from a food crisis. However, if you have the knowledge about wild vegetables, you can survive! In addition, the vegetables taste wonderful so I want you to try them!

Hi everybody, I’m Soshin! I would like to introduce the wild vegetables we can get in Hokkaido. They’re called Sansai, it means mountain vegetables.


First, I would like to introduce Udo, you can get them in the mountains in Hokkaido in spring.

Udo is good for Tempura. It is little bitter but smells very nice, Please try it!


Second, This is Taranbo, it looks like Udo but it is different, we can get them earlier than Udo in the season. We can get them around March, they live on mountain paths where they can get a lot of sunlight. They are good for tempura as well but I like a Taranbo stir-fry! You should try it!!


Next is Fukinoto, if you live in Hokkaido, you must have seen them at least once because they can grow in the street! However, the Fukinoto in the street grows surrounded by exhaust gas so I don't recommend eating them. On the other hand, Fukinoto in the mountains tastes wonderful. I think having them with miso soup is the best way to eat them.


The last is Zenmai, it looks a little strange but tastes very good. You can get them in humid places in the mountains. However, there are similar plants which are poisonous! You can distinguish them by their color. If it’s clear green, then it’s safe but if it’s red, then it has poison so be careful!

I hope you try them and enjoy the fantastic tastes but please be careful about plants that have poison and the bears in the mountains so I recommend bringing things that make loud sounds like bells! See you next time! (Soshin)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Soshin,
    I ate Fukinoto as tempura in this spring. It was very delicious! However when I was little, I didn't like Sansai because I felt that it was quite bitter. Now I feel it is tasty, so I think Sansai is an acquired taste. 
    Yu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yu,
      You ate Fukinoto?? wonderful! Me neither... I wasn't able to understand their taste when I was little but now I love.

      Delete
  2. Hi Soshin,
    You are an expert in Sansai! I didn't know that. Your post makes me want to eat Sansai tempra. Please let me know your favorite Sansai recipe!
    Honoka K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Honoka K!
      You didn't know Sansai!? you must try them and I recommend you to try fried Taranbo!

      Delete
  3. Hi Soshin,
    I love Sansai. But, I haven't ever eaten Sansai. I know you're good at cooking. Please give me a lot of Sansai!
    Ririka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ririka!
      You love them although you have never eaten?? then you love their appearance?lol
      Anyway I'll cook them for you!

      Delete
  4. Hi, Soshin!
    I have eaten Fukinoto when I was a elementary school student, but I have forgotten the taste. So I want to try it again!(Miyu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miyu
      You should try it again but I haven't eaten them... I want to know the taste as well!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete