Monday 8 June 2020

Odori Park: A Must Visit Park in Sapporo

Sapporo is one of the largest cities in Japan and there are not only modern buildings but also nature. Below, we explore the park where we can enjoy nature in Sapporo.


Odori Park is located in the center of Sapporo’s downtown and extends 1.5km from east to west. There are about 5000 trees of 100 species such as lilacs, the official tree of Sapporo.



There are events and festivals held at the park throughout the year. *YOSAKOI Soran Festival in June is one of the most famous events in Sapporo. Many teams not only from Hokkaido but also from other prefectures and countries perform on the special stage at Nishi 8-chome and dance in a parade.



In addition, Sapporo has a lot of snow, so White Illumination and the Snow Festival are held in winter. A lot of tourists come to the park to see the beautiful views and the huge snow sculptures.



To help to warm you up, the park has a Toukibi Wagons, food stands which sell grilled corn. Toukibi is Hokkaido dialect of toumorokoshi, corn in Japanese. The smell of grilled corn makes you hungry.


*YOSAKOI Soran: Yosakoi Festival is originally from Kochi Prefecture and Soran Bushi is a type of traditional Hokkaido folk song. The clappers are used in all the teams' performances. ⇨https://www.yosakoi-soran.jp/

(Honoka K)


7 comments:

  1. Hi Honoka K,
    In our Yosakoi performance of last year I was very nervous, but the view from the big stage was awesome, wasn't it?
    Also I saw the white illumination at Odori park last year. It was so beautiful. I want to visit again and take some photos in this winter.
    Yu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi HonokaK!
    I also love all events that hold in Odori Park so I'm so sad because of cancelling them due to COVID-19... Let's go together these festivals if this situation become better next year!
    HonokaS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Honoka K!
    I know that a lot of teams join YOSAKOI Soran festival! What team do you respect the best ?
    Kamami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Honoka.K,
    I love this place as well. When I become 20 years old, I want to go some event with you there!
    Ririka

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Honoka K!
    I've regretted not to see your yosakoi performance for long time...
    I hope I can watch your yosakoi next season!

    Soshin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Honoka K!
    I have never seen YOSAKOI Soran Festival,so I want to see it very much! It's so sad this year the festival will not held. I'm looking forward to see your performance next year!!
    Yuno

    ReplyDelete