Monday 8 June 2020

GEL pro Volunteer Work

GEL pro students are required to volunteer for at least 30 hours before graduating. 

There are some ways to do volunteer work at Hokkaido University of Education.


1. Become a tutor for international exchange students at HUE (I did this)

2. Participate in an international event held in Japan (e.g. Tsunami Summit)

3. Go abroad to volunteer (e.g. CIEE)


Last year, I had some experience supporting foreign students as a volunteer. I supported students from Taipei, China, and Calgary (Canada)


I guided Chinese students who came to Japan for Japanese culture training around Maruyama zoo 🐾and the Hokkaido Shrine🏮


I introduced Sapporo to students from Calgary and had lunch with them. Some of them were vegan. It was the first time for me to meet people who do not eat any animal products, so it was difficult to decide where to have lunch😅. Now I feel that I had a very good experience😊. When students from Calgary visited some Japanese elementary and junior high schools, we went there together and I also participated in a Japanese cultural experience with them. 



Here is a picture I took at the old Hokkaido Government building.



The most important thing for me to support foreign students is to try hard! 💪💪 At first I felt I might not be able to support them well, but over time it gradually became better. You may be nervous at first, but if you do not try it, you will never get a chance to know how to do it. I recommend you to try! 😉 (Sasa)





https://www.hokkyodai.ac.jp/hue-gelprogram/volunteer_internship/define.html


https://www.cieej.or.jp/


https://tsunami2019hokkaido.jp/


6 comments:

  1. Hi Yu,
    You're a good GEL Pro student. Someday, I want to do it with you:)
    Ririka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ririka,
      I want to do volunteer work with you too!
      Yu

      Delete
  2. Hi Yu,
    It was nice to know about your volunteerwork.
    It looked hard but worthwhile.
    I want do it someday.
    Keika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Keika, it was hard, but it's a great experience for me.
      If I have next chances to join it, I want to do it again!
      Yu

      Delete
  3. Hi Yu!
    It's dear to go sightseeing with students from Calgary. It was hard but I enjoyed it!
    Aoi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aoi,
      I was very happy that I could go with you!
      Yu

      Delete