Saturday 18 July 2020

My Memory with The Hokkaido Shiki Theatre②

Last time, I wrote about my first visit to The Hokkaido Shiki Theatre. Today I’m going to talk about my memories of the musicals they played in Sapporo.


The Lion King




It was the first long-run performance in this theatre in 2011. However, I was not interested in musicals at that time, so I saw The Lion King in 2017, which was a repeat performance.

The cast changed every week, so I could see 4 Simbas. My favourite Simba was Tokiya Ganbara (厂原 時也)’s. He was born in Okushiri island in Hokkaido. His Simba was so powerful and speedy.


Tokiya Ganbara's Simba


When I was a high school student, I was a member of a student council. It was fun, but sometimes I felt exhausted because I had to work hard. At this kind of time, The Lion King always kept me going and I could be refreshed when I went to the theatre.

I have seen The Lion King in Sapporo twenty times. On the last day of its performance, I could not see it without tears.  


The Sound of Music




It was performed from July to October in 2018. Some child actors and actresses from Hokkaido played the Trapp family’s children. They were adorable and I found them professional. Their singing and dancing was fantastic. My favorite number is “Sixteen Going on Seventeen”. Liesl, who is the eldest daughter and played by an adult actress, went on a date with Rolf, who is a mailman, and they sang this song. I love this scene!




The Little Mermaid



This was the final performance in the Hokkaido Shiki Theatre from December 2018 to February in 2020. Actually, it should have continued until last March. However, it was cancelled because of COVIT 19.


I saw it in Tokyo for the first time, so I was glad to hear the news that I would see it again in Sapporo.


When I was little, I usually watched Disney Princess movies, especially The Little Mermaid. I love Ariel in the musical as well as Ariel in the animation. In the story, Sebastian, who is a crab and always helps Ariel, says that Ariel’s voice is clear like ice and water. The actresses who play Ariel also have beautiful voices. I love “Part of Your World” because I can listen to her beautiful voice a lot.


In addition, some events were held in the theatre and some shopping malls. I could listen to their off-stage talk and take a photo with the casts.






Thank you, The Hokkaido Shiki Theatre! I hope to see musicals in Sapporo again!





(Honoka K)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Honoka,
    I watched "Sound of music" too!
    I love "My favorite thing" and "edelweiss"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Honoka,
    I watched all of them. Maybe I can sing almost of all the songs of Shiki musical!
    I also collect a lot of merchandises of Shiki theater's musicals!
    Sasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Honoka.
    I watched all of them.
    My favorite is "The Little Mermaid". This story is very fantasy, so I can feel happiness after the show.
    Momono

    ReplyDelete