Saturday 18 July 2020

Monol in Baguio

Hello∼:D


I’d like to talk about my precious experience in the Philippines last year. I visited Baguio city which is located in north-east of the island at the high altitude of 1500 meters. So, Baguio city is often called “The city in the sky”. Basically, the average temperature of Baguio is lower by 7 or 8 degrees than that of Manila. This is one of the reasons why studying abroad in Baguio has become popular because of its cooler climate. Students in this city can concentrate on their studies without any annoyance from the hot climate.


Next, I’ll write about the school I commuted to for a month. Monol is famous for its spartan education. We can choose one course from business English, IELTS, TOEIC and ESL. ESL is for students who want to study the foundation of English or enhance their overall English skills. This school has an English only policy which prohibits all students from speaking their mother tongue. So, if you speak Japanese, you will suffer an awful penalty such as paying money or being grounded.


 

At this time, I took an IELTS course and studied from 8AM to 5PM with my teachers and peers. In my class, 3 of 4 students were Japanese and I was sad a little bit since I had expected to make friends with foreign students. However, actually there was no need to be concerned about my friendships because finally, I could get to know students from Korea, Taiwan, China and Thailand. Sometimes I had difficulty expressing my opinion in front of my teachers but they were so supportive and friendly. I slowly become used to the lifestyle in the Philippines with mouthwatering bananas. On the weekends, I walked around Baguio city with my friends and learned about Philippine culture. This is the picture of a night market! 



Finally, this is not a university's program but every HUE student can join it. I highly recommend studying abroad in any country to gain irreplaceable memories in your life.


(Keika)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Keika.
    Baguio is wonderful place!
    I was surprised there is located at the high attitude of 1500 meters.
    Momono

    ReplyDelete