Friday 11 June 2021

A Famous Wild bird in Hokkaido

Hi, everyone! 


My name is Rion Hakone. 

(My family name “Hakone” doesn’t mean that I can run fast for long distances like runners of  “Hakone Ekiden”. )



This time, I will introduce a famous wild bird in Hokkaido.

The name is,


Black woodpecker !!!!!


A long time ago, Ainu people called it “chip-ta-chicup(チプ・タ・チカップ)”. It means a bird which carves a log boat.

Nowadays, it is called “Kumagera(クマゲラ)” in Japanese.


Surprisingly, it is the biggest woodpecker in Japan! The Japanese name “Kuma(クマ)” means “extra large size”. Also, their drumming is very loud! 

What’s more, they are designated as a national animal and endangered species!



It’s cute, isn’t it?


You can distinguish their gender when you look at its head.

In this picture, this black woodpecker is female because she has a red point on the back of her head.


(↑ source: クマゲラの特徴は?生態や分布、鳴き声は? - pepy)


If a red point is on the top, its gender is male. It looks like wearing a red flat cap!!





↑This is the black woodpeckers’ nest. They make a hole in the tree. With any luck you can see chicks in this hole.



I met and took pictures of them in Makomanai Park. (真駒内公園 (makomanai.com)

When I went near the nest, a lot of photographers and bird watchers were looking at it. 

If you want to see black woodpeckers, you should go there.

Almost certainly you can see them!!


If you know other places where I can see black woodpeckers, please tell me immediately!!!



Thank you for reading. See you next time. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment