Thursday 23 June 2022

 What is Hokkaido like?”



Hi, this is Ryu again.

 

This time, I want to tell you what Hokkaido is like, especially the size, and the climate.




~How large is Hokkaido compared to another places? ~


 Firstly, look at this pic below.



 














This pic clearly shows that Hokkaido is such a big island in Japan!! Not only in Japan but also around the world. These pics below briefly show the comparison between Hokkaido and foreign countries.



Comparing to Europe























Comparing to the US 



 












Comparing to Brazil



 












Comparing to China















Comparing to Australia



 














Isn’t Hokkaido a big island, right?! I’m proud of it.

 



~ What is the climate like in Hokkaido? ~


 Next, let’s take a look at Hokkaido’s weather. I’ll roughly pick up 4 places in Hokkido.  ↓(Sapporo/Hakodate, Kushiro, Abashiri/Wakkanai, Asahikawa/Obihiro)


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 



 

~ Sapporo/Hakodate ~

First, the annual average temperature in Sapporo (from 1981 to 2010) is 8.9. It has a lot of snow in winter, especially in Ainosato, it’s not a place where human beings can live. haha


Hakodate has almost the same weather to Sapporo.



~ Abashiri/Wakkanai ~

 Second, the annual average temperature in Abashiri (from 1981 to 2010) is 6.2. Blizzards can occur during the winter months. I never experienced them, so I’m curious about it a little.


Also, Wakkanai has almost the same weather to Abashiri. When I was a kid, I lived in Wakkanai for few years. I remember that there were strong winds every day.



Kushiro ~

Third, the annual average temperature in Kushiro (from 1981 to 2010) is 6.2. There are few sunny days in summer and many sunny days in winter. My parents live in Kushiro now and they told me their room temperature was only 14 ℃ even in June! I guess it’s because Kushiro has such a weather in summerIt means there are few sunny days in Kushiro so even in summer, it would be low temperature days.



~ Asahikawa/Obihiro ~

 Fourth, the annual average temperature in Asahikawa (from 1981 to 2010) is 6.9. Average winter temperatures are the lowest in Hokkaido.


Obihiro has almost the same weather to Asahikawa because it’s also located in the middle of Hokkaido. I lived in Obihiro at the end of my high school days. I really agree with the idea that Asahikawa/Obihiro has the lowest temperature in winter.



 

How is Hokkaido’s weather??  For me, Hokkaido cities are colder than I expected though I live actually here. I hope this blog will help someone someday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment